Monday, February 7, 2011

Silver Hair

I noticed my first gray hair about a year ago.  On the crown of my head, right at my part.  At the time, I blamed it on the fact that I perpetually wear my sunglasses up on the top of my head, and I talked myself into believing that it was somehow related to the little plastic nose-piece things resting right there - I don't know how that would take the color out of your hair, but it sounded good at the time.

Alas, there are now about 10 of them.  Rather, there were 10 of them, because I plucked last night.  I've got to be careful with that, though - I wound up pulling out a few good ones, too, and I don't want to do that.  J says that when you pull a white hair, three more come back in its place, but I think that's baloney.  I did kind of make myself dizzy with all the looking up at the crown of my head in the mirror, though.

When I pulled each wiry hair out, I studied it.  These bristly, colorless strands, the first sign of my mortality. How can something so little screw around with my head so much?

No comments: