Thursday, April 21, 2011

Italiano Day Deux

I threw in some French there, just to keep you on your toes...

So, in my Quest to Start New Things, this week I am dusting off my Rosetta Stone Italiano Levels 1, 2 and 3 programs that I got from the Amazon Vine program a year ago.

So here's how my desk looked last night

notice my fancy hole-puncher in the background?

As you can clearly see, I'm totally, like, ready.  I installed Level 1 and, after having spent about two hours on it over two days, can now say words like:

run (corro)
egg (uovo)
eat (mangia)
drink (beve)
bread (pane)
sandwich (panini)
bicycle (bicciclete, which I like, because you get to say the word "bitch" for fun)
car (machina)
cat (gatto)
dog (cane)
cooking (cucina)
reading (legge)
writing (scrive)
rice (riso)
apple (mela)

I also know the difference between
he: lui
she: lei
they: loro

Thus enabling me to say simple things like :
Lui legge
Loro cucinano
Lei beve caffe
una bambina mangia riso e mela

I could so totally order coffee, milk, an egg, an apple, and rise in Italy now.

I'm off to a flying start.  Seriously, I haven't had this much fun in a long time.  I've been spending an hour a day on the course, and it just flies by - not at all like those 43 minutes of painful high school German reciting verb conjugations.  Ich bin.  Du bist.  Er/Sie/Es ist.  Let me stick my Stift in my Augen jetzt!  No offense Frau Miller.  You were awesome.  It was just kind of dull, that's all.  And Italian words are so much fun to say.  It's so musical.  Like the whole language is one big symphony.  I love it.  I'm so freaking glad I dusted off this Rosetta Stone thing-a-ma-bob.  Week One of Trying New Things is definitely off to a good start!

Oh, if you're curious about the old man on my desktop in the picture above, it's David Starkey, a brilliant British historian who gives me goosebumps.  It's a screenshot from the Monarchy series that was on ITV a few years ago, and now graces my home regularly thanks to Netflix streaming.  J was teasing me about how much I was watching it, saying I most likely had a crush on said Mr. Starkey (which would be funny, cuz in addition to being, like, old enough to be my grandpa, he's gay).  So I grabbed a screenshot and made it my desktop, so now if J ever uses my computer, he gets to stare at the object of my crush as well.   It's one of those random things that makes marriage fun.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Awesome to hear you've started Italian! I am a Francophile, though, but I think language learning in general is a great idea. I've been trying to think of ideas for you for your "new things" quest... and have also been inspired to perhaps follow suit!

Perhaps an idea for a "new thing" would be to spend a week cooking a dish with a "new" veggie/fruit you find at your grocery store? Or if you have a market that carries produce from other parts of the world, maybe that might be a place to start?

Looking forward to hearing your new adventures!