Sunday, May 16, 2010

Old time radio shows and my crush on Peter Cetera

I just discovered The Big Broadcast, which has become my new favorite thing. It's a four hour radio program on every Sunday night featuring the radio drama's of the 30's, 40's and 50's. But thanks to the wonders of technology, I can listen to it whenever I want. Hubby and I are loving spending half an hour every evening listening to Dragnet and Johnny Dollar, etc. What I love about these shows is the way they paint pictures with words, and the way you can imagine things. It's so much more engaging than watching TV. I highly recommend you check it out and give it a chance. It might seem a bit weird at first, but if you give it a shot, you might discover that you completely love it, like I did.

I turned 34 last week, which is really messing with my head. 34? Seriously? I'm 34 years old? When my mom was my age she had a 4 year old. It's all just too weird. I'm suddenly aware of my age. I'm not saying that I'm fighting it or anything like that. Just that I'm aware of it for the first time. Like here's a trippy thought. I began choosing my favorite radio stations in the mid-80's. I kept a tape recorder by the radio so I could record my favorite Wham and Madonna songs when they came on. In the 80's, a lot of the "oldies" doo-wap 60's stuff was just about 20-25 years old, right? Ok, so bear with me here. The music I remember listening to then is now 20-25 years old. So the music I remember listening to is now as old as the doo-wap stuff was then. So yeah, if I think about that too much it starts messing with my head, and that's never a good thing.

And here's another thing. It's no secret that I have harbored a long time crush on Peter Cetera. Since I was about 16. Yeah, well, I was thinking about that crush (while listening to my almost-perfect Peter Cetera station on Pandora) he's almost 70 now, which just seems kind of icky (no offense, Peter Cetera. I still love you and think you're the hottest almost-70 guy I know of. It just makes me feel like you're a grandfather, and it's kind of gross). Was it really nearly 20 years ago when I listened to World Falling Down on my walkman while studying for AP History?

And one other thing. My parents are in their 60's and almost 70. Which is not the correct age for parents to be. 60's and 70 is the age for grandparents. Parents are in their 30's and 40's. Which leads me to the fact that I am now firmly in my 30's. Which makes me want to scream and play some early Blink.

It's just really scary how fast time is passing, that's all. I want to slow it down so I don't miss anything. It's like somebody stuck my life on warp speed and it's just going by so quickly. I guess this is why some people have a mid-life crisis when they're 50. Well, I really want to stop and be still and notice as much as I can.

On that note, I'm having a lovely chill-out weekend. It's the first weekend in about a month where we haven't had any plans, and I'm making good use of it. Catching up on laundry, reading lots of magazines, immersing myself in Vanity Fair, taking long bubblebaths, taking my time in Target, going to the beach, snuggling with the kittens, listening to Peter Cetera - all that good stuff.





No comments: