Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Nimrod makes me cry

I'm listening to Nimrod from the Enigma Variations (Elgar is wonderful, I've rediscovered) and he just makes me bawl my eyes out. I started listening to a CD I've had called Poppy Classics - all these quintessential British pieces - when I saw the recent Reece's Peanut Butter Cup commercial that featured Jupiter from The Planets. So now I'm thinking about June in Bath with Vaughan Williams and Elgar. J and I are going to go back to London, and hopefully Italy, during August and I'm hoping I can catch at least a couple of Proms at the Royal Albert Hall.

Ooh, the other fun thing I'm going to do this summer is go to Iceland for the summer solstice. We are combining it with a trip back home to PA. Actually, I'm combining it. J is going to stay in PA and hang out with my parents and Lancaster friends, and I'm going to go to Iceland for a weekend from NYC, which is only a four and a half hour flight and really cheap. I've been wanting to go to Iceland for ages - midnight swimming in the Blue Lagoon, etc. I'm going to stay awake the entire time and pretend I'm 23 again and get ferociously drunk on Icelandic beer. Oooh, I can't wait.

No comments: