Sunday, June 8, 2014

The Week in Books: Goodnight June (spoilers)

I got Goodnight June by Sarah Jio from NetGalley, and it appealed to me because I've been reading Goodnight Moon to Hannah each night (albeit in German - gute nacht mond!).  It looked like chick-lit-meets-children's-book and that's cool, I guess, so I read it.  It was also all over Book Expo last week; galley copies seemingly everywhere I looked.

Good God, it was awful.

Can I just say, that this was one of the worst books I have read in a LONG time.

I hate it when a book is so perfect and glossy that there's absolutely nothing that can be real about it.  The main romantic interest, Gavin, admits that he's in love with June on like their third date.  His favorite movie is The Princess Bride.  He gave up law to go to culinary school and become a chef, and he owns the italian cafe Right Next To The Bookstore that June inherited.

June has this estranged sister.  There's all this backstory about how much Amy hurt her.  She runs into Amy while on a date with Gavin, and won't even talk to her.  A week or two later we learn that Amy is dying of cancer, and she's also pregnant, and due, like, any minute (and she'll probably die soon after because she can't be on meds while pregnant).  There's this touching hospital reunion.  So wait.  Let me get this straight.  June just ran into her sister, and didn't notice that she was deathly ill?  And pregnant?

Riiiiiigggghhhhttttt.

Another woman is described as being "middle aged".  When you work out the math, she's like 70.  She must have had a lot of work done to be middle aged at 70.

The whole thing is just shoddy and full of errors like that, and it drove me crazy.

This chick has a ton of positive reviews, so I guess I must be missing something.  But either way, I'm going back to the Saxon Stories series from Bernard Cornwell.  Vikings invading Wessex and Mercia (Side Note: the only time I ever heard the word Mercia before learning British history was in the beginning of Monty Python and the Holy Grail when Arthur says that he has ridden his horse since the snows of winter covered this land, through the kingdom of Mercia, blah blah... I have a hard time thinking about Mercia now without snorting).  Alfred the Great, before he became The Great.  My hero, Uhtred of Bebbanburg, has some Danes to kill!

No comments: