Thursday, May 31, 2012

A friend of mine once told me that he could always tell that I was happy when I stopped blogging.  And when I was depressed, I spent a lot of time sitting at home emptying wine bottles, writing about how my heart was broken, and the guy who didn't love me back was an asshole (this was, I should note, in my Single Girl blog, which would be about 10 years old this year).

So if I go away for a while, it's not because I'm pregnant, or I got kidnapped by a crazy gunman at 7-11, or anything like that.  It just means that I'm out doing my thing.  Especially with springtime arriving, I have spent as much time as possible outside, walking around the lake, and getting some extra doses of Vitamin D.

That being said, I don't want to just disappear again, so here's a lowdown on the events of the past few weeks:

1)  I decided to go to Seminary.  But I don't really know why.  I don't know that I ever want to have a church of my own, and preach.  Maybe.  I haven't thought that far ahead.  For now, it's enough to know that I just belong in Seminary studying the Bible, and being part of the conversation that creates Doctrine so that, you know, Christianity can be more about loving people, and not so much about excluding people because they're gay or whatever.

2)  My husband is hemming my performance dress for choir.  If you fancy hearing some nice a capella choral music on Saturday, the Claremont Chorale is performing at 3pm and I'll be up there in my hemmed dress, looking fancy.  It's super-cool that my husband can hem my dress, I should add.

3)  I've boarded the fertility treatment train.  But I'm not going to get carried away with it.  I'm really going to try to be conscious of the fact that you can easily spend thousands upon thousands of dollars, and lots of time and heartbreak, getting IVF and all that stuff, and frankly, I'm not that desperate to have a biological child.  If that's your thing, it's great that it's possible, and I applaud people who do it.  For me, I just want to have a baby.  I don't feel the need to genetically breed, and there are millions and millions of kids in the world who just want a family that loves them.  To me it seems like a needless expense, but that's just me being judgmental.

4)  We're also starting to seriously check out adoption, and are signed up to go to an open-day at an agency in the summer.

5)  This summer is going to so totally rock.  We're going to NYC for me to go to Book Expo and negotiate with publishers about our ebook project for libraries.  Then PA for some Family Time.  Then London and...wait for it...I'm finally getting my ass to Iceland to see 24 hours of daylight.  I'm so stoked.

6)  In the Realm of Stupid Things I've Done to Lose Weight: last week was high up there.  I had a weight goal I wanted to make by Memorial Day.  As of Wednesday, I was still 3 pounds away.  So I went on a liquid diet.  Didn't eat any solid food for 4 days.  I made the weight (of course I gained it back since then) and had a fun day shopping at the Gap Outlet, which made me feel like I was 19 again, because their Muzak was Songs from the 90's, and nothing says 90's more than shopping at the Gap and listening to The Cure, but I digress...now I feel ridiculously dizzy, tired, and stupid for having done that.  But whatever, I have new clothes.  So...yay for new clothes...





No comments: