Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Where in the world did Heather go?

Did she fall off the face of the planet?  Nope.  She didn't have another miscarriage did she?  Nope.  Is she perhaps pregnant, and nauseated all the time?  Not so lucky.  Did her house fall down on her and break all her internet devices and fall mugs?  Nope.  Is she just lazy?  b-i-n-g-o.

Here's a round up of what I did in October, followed by the plans for a kick-ass November that I'm going to have.

In October I:
-walked an average of 18 miles a week, for a total of about 72.  Dang, I walked the equivalent of going from my house to the beach.  If I'm healthy enough (read: if I'm not knocked up to the point of being unable to do so) I'm going to do a half-marathon in Pasadena in January.  I'm not even going to try to run it.  I shall slow-pokey walk past the Rose Bowl and Cal Tech, taking in all the scenery.  But I'm going to go 13.1 miles in one go.

-went on a pregnancy-loss-remembrance walk, which was sad.
-mourned the year anniversary of losing our baby.  The upshot?  We got cards with gift cards in them for our favorite restaurants.  People rock.

- celebrated our five year wedding anniversary by moving furniture around.  Oh, and we got more cards and gift cards.  If anybody wants to go to Chili's, I can treat.  No, I'm just kidding.  I'm keeping all that molten lava chocolate cake goodness for myself.

- thought I was pregnant, which would have been kind of miraculous since it was only our first month trying, but still, I figured that I could use some good luck in the fertility area, so why not?  Then I found out I wasn't pregnant, and got pissed off.  This current cycle has gone all funny and weird, so I'm especially pissed off at my body at the moment.

- rode public transportation in San Francisco.  So this old lady comes on to the bart train and starts waving her jacket around, holding her nose, and thanking the doors for opening and letting her on.  Man, sometimes I really miss riding public transportation regularly.  One time I remember this one guy kept silently trying to feel me up on the bus - this was when I was like 23 or something - and I reached over and grabbed him in his special man-place, really quick-like, and twisted my hand around, hard.  He screamed like a little girl and called me a bitch.  I was like, "too true, motherf*cker," and put my disc-man back on with its Tori Amos CD.  After that, nobody sat down next to me for the rest of the ride.  I was stoked.  More place to put my bag.

- bought both a new/used couch and chair set from a lady in Temecula AND a new stove from Sears.  Man, my appliance/furniture quotient just got raised by like 75%.  As an aside, it led to another Yay Craigslist experience.

- lined up a petsitter for a month in December/January.  Why would I need a petsitter for a month in December/January, you ask?  Because my boss is totally forward thinking and appreciates the beauty of Skype, and is letting me work in the UK for a whole month.  Which means that I also bought tickets to London, and am now trying to figure out how to fit a month's worth of life into one suitcase.  Thank God for my Kindle.

So.  November.  Here's what's cooking this month:

-NaNoWriMo.  The working title of my novel (after only Day 1, mind you) is Grief and Hedonism.  It's sort of autobiographical, but only in that I wanted to write about the aftermath of miscarriage.  It's kind of like Chick-Lit meets Grief-Lit.  I guess a lot of it is stuff I've thought about doing this past year, but was too sensible to actually do.  So I'm letting my characters do it, and seeing how it plays out.

- Thanksgiving, which always kicks ass in my house cuz it's my favorite holiday.  I love everything about Thanksgiving.  It's the perfect holiday.  Food, vacation time, naps, good-smelling-houses, and no stress of having to send cards, give presents, yada yada.  Actually, I don't know why I stress about sending cards.  I haven't sent cards since 1997.  Plus, you can listen to carols out in the open.  Myself, I am a closet carol listener.  I start around August, as soon as the air starts to get a little chilly and begins to hint that fall is coming.  Now that I'm in a choir again, I am spending my fall singing lots of Christmas music, which makes my soul happy.  But around Thanksgiving, you can start to come out of the closet and listen to carols out in the open.

- I'm going on a retreat at a benedictine monastary, which should be peaceful and inspirational.

- Losing more weight and getting new clothes.  I've been stuck at this damn plateau for like four months, and I'm officially busting through it this month.  Then, when the sales start after Thanksgiving, I'm getting myself some new clothes.  I've been wearing the same jeans twice a week since July.  I'm seriously sick of them.

- The Artists Way.  I've still been doing it.  Just in my own farting-around kind of way.  The Artists Way Heather's Way.

- Weekend triple-walks around the lake, to get ready for this marathon.  That's 9 miles.  It's a hike.  I've done it once so far, and it took about 2 hours and 15 minutes.  And man, I was stiff afterwards.  But at least that's a good justification for a bubblebath.

Happy November, everyone.


No comments: