Thursday, June 3, 2010

more pet peeves (and an eMusic rant)

Feeling like a curmudgeon today. Looked up what "curmudgeon" means, and saw that it means "a crusty irascible cantankerous old person full of stubborn ideas."

Yep, that's me.

Like today I get an email from emusic. I love emusic, I really do. I love their cheap downloads and extensive classical catalog, and great independent artists. Since they got some major labels, I've stopped loving them with such a passion, but I'm still down with the emusic love.

But I get this email today and it just makes me think of all the stupid people in the world. See if you can catch the stupid:

We're officially at the year's halfway mark, which means it's time to take stock of the Best Records of the Year...So Far

I mean, seriously, did no one proof that email? How many people read that and didn't think, "uh, gee, there are 12 months in the calendar. And five have gone past. Half of twelve is six..."

Listen, eMusic. July 1 is the halfway mark. Not June 1. Ok? Yeah, it's petty and it's not a big deal, but seriously. If I can't trust you to count, how can I trust you to catalog all my favorite music? And I have a bone to pick with you about that, too. I've written to your customer service asking for you guys to invest a couple grand to hire a music librarian because seriously, there's no consistency in your classical stuff. This takes a music librarian because of the authority control - I know, that's a big word for you so let me break it down:

Classical music is tough because of a few things. First, many people search by composer (in pop music, you don't often search for songwriter). Second, there are literally hundreds of recordings of the same pieces. Also, a lot of musicians are cataloged by last name, then first. You don't often see Boy, Fall Out. It's always just Fall Out Boy. So a simple search for a Paul O'Dette as an artist brings back the following results:

Drew Minter & Paul O'Dette
Paul O'Dette - lute,
orpharion and cittern
David Douglass, Paul O'Dette, Andrew Lawrence-King
The King's Noyse with Paul O'Dette
Paul O’Dette
Ellen Hargis, Paul O'Dette, Andrew Lawrence-King & Hille Perl
Paul O'Dette & Andrew Lawrence-King

And then how's this for fun? There are two John Taverner's in classical music. One contemporary. One from like four hundred years ago. You have albums that are 400 years old under the compositions of the modern one. Sort that out, PLEASE!

Finally, search for William Byrd as a composer. Look what comes up:

William Byrd
WILLIAM BYRD (1543-1623)
William Byrd, arr. Peter le Huray & Thurston Dart
William Byrd?, Consort Lessons
William Byrd- Pieces From The "Fitzwilliam Virginal Book"
William Byrd, arr. Edmund Fellowes &
William Byrd & arr. Fellowes
Joen Dowland/William Byrd
Byrd, William

Nope, that's not frustrating at all. PLEASE EMUSIC!!! You just got all those major labels. You raised prices. PLEASE SORT THIS STUFF OUT. Hire a classical music librarian. I can help you find one. Heck, I can even do a lot of this stuff. I'll do it for cheap. Seriously.

I love emusic, but I just can't stand the stupid today.

No comments: